Sunday, June 13, 2010

Belgium: 12 points



"Belgium plays its future" declared yesterday one of the leading French Belgian newspaper, "La Libre Belgique". At the same time, it opened a debate (here) on the Belgian identity.


0bviously, Belgian identity is THE essential question! What does it mean today to be a Belgian? Shall we (or can we) continue to live in the same complex, multicultural, multilingual and sometimes paranoid Belgium? Or should we vote for separatism and simplification: the rich Flemish majority on one hand and the poorer and supposedly lazier Walloons on the other hand?   Oh and, by the way, where does Brussels end up in this scenario?


Seen from far away, Belgium is so small that it would probably completely disappear from the map if we were to split it even further. And, despite the arrogant discourses of the most vindicative Flemish spokesmen, there is a Belgian identity: we have a common history of resistance (starting very long ago with a small Gallic tribe..), a rich artistic and cultural legacy, famous scientists, engineers, craftsmen, sportsmen. Our workforce is renowned the world over. And of course, everyone appreciates Belgian beers, chocolates, fries, comics, humor, etc.


I have always been very proud to live in such a tiny & rich country where two cultures and languages (or even three with the German Community) cohabit in mostly pacific terms, where compromise is an art and self mockery and surrealism a second nature. A native "Brusseler", I'm both deeply European and intrinsically Belgian. I feel even more genuinely Belgian, since I'm born from a Walloon mother who lived near the German border and from a perfectly bilingual father whose family originated from Lokeren in Flandern. So, I can undoubtedly proclaim that I am a true Belgian. And quite a number of Belgians share the same mixity. Hence, I can only disagree with the analysis I've read (here) and that is mainly influenced by Flemish extremists arguments.

I feel particularly enriched by the Belgian patchwork of languages and cultures, by the constant interest and respect for other lifestyles. My home is full of books in several languages. Why would I restrict my horizon to just Dutch or French ?

It is really astounding to see the little creativity and dynamism our politicians have developed to shape the future of our country. Times have changed and we need to reinvent and rejuvenate our country. However, splitting Belgium is not a strategy I'd recommend !

I will continue to vote for Belgium: 12 points !

No comments:

Post a Comment